[Asterisk-Users] SMTP MTA suggestions.

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Oct 19 04:13:27 MST 2004

On October 18, 2004 09:11 pm, Fabian Garcia wrote:
> I understand asterisk invokes sendmail in order to send email notifications
> of messages left. Is there another application less complicated than
> Sendmail, I already got mail servers else where and they are the ones I
> want to use.

Nullmailer; why put a full blown MTA on your voice box -- nullmailer has its
own queue and hands off everything to your favourite SMTP machine instead of
trying to deliver to all the endpoints itself.  This keeps your mail system
centralized and the control in one place, which is far easier to maintain
that a full-blown MTA for ever server you have.

If you insist on a full MTA, Postfix gets my vote; it's every bit as secure as
qmail (I have been using qmail for close to a decade now) but without the
billion patches required to give qmail any kind of modern functionality.

-A.