[Asterisk-Users] SMTP MTA suggestions.

Dido Sevilla dido.sevilla at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 21:45:28 MST 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:11:11 -0400, Fabian Garcia <fabian at blackluna.org> wrote:
> I understand asterisk invokes sendmail in order to send email notifications
> of messages left. Is there another application less complicated than
> Sendmail, I already got mail servers else where and they are the ones I want
> to use.

There's a small program called ssmtp:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/ssmtp

that basically acts as a sendmail-compatible program that sends mail
it is given by connecting to an external SMTP server. It is about as
bare bones as an MTA as you can get, and I'm surprised that it doesn't
see wider use than Debian and Gentoo (in particular it doesn't seem to
be present by default in Red Hat or Fedora).