[Asterisk-Users] VoIP over 1xRTT

Brian McSpadden mcspadden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:45:01 MST 2004

It is not always the bandwidth, you are correct. There are however
times on the Sprint network that the bandwidth is reduced, or the
bandwidth is zero, because it can't connect to anything because the
network is so busy. WIth Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT network, voice and data
share the same network, but voice is the bread and butter of the
business, so it will get priority over data.

This is why I'm saying, EV-DO (and later EV-DV) will do great things
for VoIP over cellular networks. EV-DO (DO stands for Data Only),
dedicates a high speed data network, more available bandwidth for
everybody, and less latency, hence less jitter. I'm excited to see
these developments, as I believe it will make VoIP more reliable over
these types of networks. At the moment, there are simply too many
variables to trust it.

Brian