[Asterisk-Users] Quick question regarding daily restart of asterisk

Matt G gibson at experthost.com
Mon Oct 18 14:11:43 MST 2004

Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding restarting (and/or
stopping/restarting) asterisk daily -- Should it be done?

I've seen conflicting answers, some people have told me that the only
reason for asterisk to be stopped/started daily was for mpg123 causing
many childs, which has since been fixed using 'no buffer' or 'nb'
appended to the line in musiconhold.conf.

Others have told me there is no reason whatsoever to restart/stop it,
yet there's instructions on how to do it on the wiki, are these just
outdated?

Is there any other reason why one would want to stop and restart
asterisk daily? (or at any other scheduled time?)

On a related note, is asterisk -rx "restart now" the equivalent of
asterisk -rx "stop now" && /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk (or whatever command
is used to restart it)?. I have a job cronned on a slackware system to
restart it daily using -rx "restart now" and it creates a new PID, and
Process Time, but when I run the same thing on Redhat 9 I get an error
saying that it exited on sig 13. I'm sure this is just a redhat specific
thing as this isn't the only problem I'm running into, but it would be
nice to find some answers.

Thanks,
Matt