[Asterisk-Users] New Realtime config and MWI

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 18 13:03:36 MST 2004

Karl H. Putz wrote:

> Currently setting mailbox= in sip.conf along with appropriate additional
> info is required to set and clear MWI for sip clients.
>
> MySQL peer table does not include the mailbox variable and, while ast_data
> does include the mailbox variable, the polling architecture of chan_sip does
> not currently work with it to send the Notify message for MWI.
>
> I was wondering if the new RealTime config functions would resolve this
> issue.
No, but remember there are two ways to config from a database:

* Use the res_config architecture to load a static configuration from a database.
* Use the realtime config to lookup config data when a peer registers or places a call

In option 1, you will have every function that you have in a text file.

In option 2, there are limitations that we impose since we do not want to
store every peer in RAM. This is mainly designed for installations with
over 1.000 peers. With the current architecture, we can't send NAT
keep-alives, nor send voicemail notifications to peers in the database.

You can not "set and clear" MWI for sip clients in sip.conf. You
can only connect a SIP client to one or several mailboxes that
you want to get regular notification of. "set and clear" is done
in the voicemail application.

You are propably looking for configuration method #1, not the
realtime architecture.

Idea: We could propably add a "hint" to voicemail accounts and send mwi
when voicemail status changes if the client is a SIP client. This has
to be handled from the voicemail application.

/Olle