[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Oct 17 20:34:58 MST 2004

On October 16, 2004 02:24 pm, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> And thus, you've just sealed how the lawyers are going to treat this:

> "Manufacturer X could have been more careful and reduced the chances of
> this tragedy occurring. Now all we can do is seek punishment for the people
> who contributed to the loss of life."

> You believe walking in and saying "Our policy states..." is going to work?

I don't know.  You don't know.  It's up to the jury.

At any rate I do believe that this thread has shifted slightly; it was at
first about how having the software open source would make things bad; now
it's about how the lawywers would make open source bad.

Open-sourcing the control software to a critical system isn't bad, it doesn't
make it more likely that someone will screw with the system.  Someone else
has already made a point that the schematics, service drawings/notes and very
likely algorithms are already provided to the people who service the
equipment.

The point's moot, IMO; litigation has a funny way of making things completely
nonsensical.  I think this has been proven in this thread.  :-)

-A.