[Asterisk-Users] IAXy setup

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Sat Oct 16 19:03:58 MST 2004

Actually, the IAXy is really very immature, and is desperate for several
enhancements:

1. The MAC address needs to be visible on the unit. As it stands the
only way to determine the identity of the thing is packet sniffing or
looking through logs. This is tolerable in a lab, but ridiculous in
production. What if I want to program 100 of them, and assign IP
addresses based on MAC addresses?
2. DNS support. The IAXy needs to be able to handle names.
3. Restore to factory. There is currently no documented method to resore
an IAXy to factory defaults. This means that if you have a stock of them
that may or may not have been pre-configured, you'll need to do more
packet sniffing to figure out what the IP address is.
4. Some kind of TFTP, SSH or whatever is needed to allow connection and
configuration of the device.

I also love the IAXy (I use them happily in my lab), but it is much more
of a beta device at this point. I really couldn't feel comfortable
deploying them at customer locations until the management functions are
improved.

It'll get there I'm sure.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.