[Asterisk-Users] Sending broadcasts to all phones?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Oct 16 14:27:32 MST 2004

Kristian Kielhofner [kris at krisk.org] wrote:
> Stan Brinkerhoff wrote:
> > A friend of mine has a real panasonic PBX setup at his house, and is
> > able to pick up the phone, dial an extension, and it broadcasts what he
> > says over every phone in his house without the phones having to be
> > picked up. What is this feature called?
> >
> > Would it be possible to set this up with Asterisk given the appropriate
> > phones? (Cisco?)
> >
> This can be done with Cisco phones and 6.x or 7.x firmware.  It is on
> the wiki.

Well, actually, it's not on the WIKI.  The WIKI would help you set up
a Cisco phone to auto-answer, but that's not all he needs here.
The problem is that if you dial "phone1&phone2" then the first phone
to auto-answer will receive the "broadcasted" call.  The other phones
in the list will not hear anything.  Well, that'd be what I'd expect
to happen with Dial(), anyway.

Stan seems to be asking for a system where the caller hears a ring tone
until all phones (auto)answer, and is then able to speak to them all at
once.  It'd be kind of like an "enforced conference call", but with one
speaker and multiple listeners, and with all audio received from the
called phones thrown away rather than distributed.

It could be done, but would need a new Dial()-based application to do
it, I think.  Perhaps there's an existing facility that can be used to
to do this.  If there is then I can't think of it.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz