[Asterisk-Users] Unusual protocols

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Oct 16 12:52:08 MST 2004

Hi,

Over the last few months a number of Asterisk users have asked me about
implementing signaling protocols most of us would consider obsolete.
There is an amazing about of very old equipment still in use. However, I
currently have no way to judge whether these inquiries are serious, or
more the result of nostalgia :-) As a reference point, Cisco is very new
in the telephony market. Their VoIP kit supports a surprising range of
protocols, several of which I thought were completely dead and buried
(its quite nostalgic searching their documentation on line). It seems
some of these fossils might still have a place in the 21st century. :-)

I would like to here from people who really would like to see further
signaling protocols made available. System 4, 5, and 5bis are three
examples of things which I have actually been asked about. There are a
number of protocols based in 2600Hz tones (most US) and 2280Hz tones
(mostly Europe), which are probably still spread quite widely in low
density point-to-point connections. If there is anything you need,
please tell me about it. I want to build a picture of what might be
worthwhile tackling.

Regard,
Steve