[Asterisk-Users] Motherboard for P4 HT recomendation ?

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Sat Oct 16 10:42:19 MST 2004

While I agree that the VIA is an exciting platform for all kinds of
embedded applications, it is important to note that the FPU on the Eden
and C3 processors is considered to be very low performance. Since
Asterisk makes heavy use of the FPU, a system based on these CPUs will
not be able to handle as much DSP work as an equivalent Pentium or AMD.

So those boards would be strictly for very small systems.

How small? Well that question would depend on how much transcoding you
plan on doing. If you're running G711 everywhere and not conferencing,
you might be able to run ten phones of such a machine. Get a few
conferrences going or start accepting G.729 and GSM connections, and you
stand a very strong chance of running into clipping.

I LOVE those EPIA boards, though. Have you seen the new Nano-ITX form
factor (www.nano-itx.com)? I'm dreaming of building a Asterisk-based
touch-screen console when those become available. Basically, it'll allow
anyone to build their own IP telephone, using a touch screen and USB
handset, or whatever a creative mind can imagine.

Cheers,

--
Jim

---