[Asterisk-Users] Sending broadcasts to all phones?

Torsten Krueger torsten at nrw-online.de
Sat Oct 16 07:59:51 MST 2004

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Stan Brinkerhoff wrote:

> A friend of mine has a real panasonic PBX setup at his house, and is
> able to pick up the phone, dial an extension, and it broadcasts what he
> says over every phone in his house without the phones having to be
> picked up.
>
> What is this feature called?
> Would it be possible to set this up with Asterisk given the appropriate
> phones? (Cisco?)

I'm thinking about the same problem with snom phones. My thougts regarding
this feature are as follows.
This can only work with the help of the phone. With the Snom 190s and Snom
200s two ways to do this come to mind.

a) Let the phone autoanswer an incoming call
With the snom phone you can configure Auto-Answer of incoming calls.
Unfortunately this can only be globally activated. What would be needed is
the possibility to configure this feature dependend on the incoming line
or on the incoming CLID. A solution based on the CLID would be the better
solution.

b) Let the phone issue a call
Via the Webinterface of the snoms an outgoing call can be started. To make
use of this a bunch of things has to be done.
- Generate an extension where the e.g. receptionist can issue his/her
  announcment. (call 995, get a voiceprompt "leave your announcement after
  the tone", hangup.
- Save the recorded announcement as GSM or convert it respectively
- Generate an extension where the announcement can be heard
- Let an agi-script lookup which phones to contact
- Let the script determine which phones are busy (because the snom phone
  will   send any ongoing call to the parking orbit when an extension is
  dialed over the webinterface)
- Let the script do something like curl http://user:pass@phone -d  NUMBER=996

Both solutions unfortunately are specific to the phones used. Solution a)
would be much more simple than b) . I've asked the snom support on
thursday wether they would consider implementing this. BTW: has someone
experience with the sourcecode and tools they provide on their webpage?

Regards
Torsten