[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Serusers] Newbie question: asterisk and ser

Emilio Panighetti emilio at dorial.com
Sat Oct 16 07:10:09 MST 2004

You can do all of with with each one, and with both at the same time
(.e., register your UAs through ser to in term rute to Asterisk.

Ser is, simply put. a (stateless) SIP Proxy. It's like a SIP
layer-level router. Which is good if you need something that can scale
a lot.
Asterisk is a full-featured B2BUA, with a different logic and many
applications that go beyond SIP routing. Asterisk can also interconnect
dissimilar technologies like PSTN, SIP, H.323, MGCP, SCCP, IAX, but you
won't get the came CPS (calls per second) as with Ser. If you have less
than a few thousand phones, maybe Asterisk is all you need.