[Asterisk-Users] Zapata on PowerMac G4

Nicholas J Humfrey njh at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 16 06:06:24 MST 2004

Hi,

I thought I would convert my old PowerMac G4 into a Linux box /
Asterisk server, but I haven't been having a lot of success.

Call signaling seems to work fine - detects phones going on/off hook
and phones ring when you dial them (from the console) but audio doesn't
seem to be working at all - no dial tone, doesn't detect DTMF.

The console (using OSS/dma_powermac) also doesn't work very well. I
typed 'dial 600' into the console and the sound is very jumpy - 1
second sound, followed by 4 seconds silence. Processor is running at
90% idle. I have tested full-duplex OSS using audio tools and it seems
to work perfectly.

I am running a custom compiled 2.4.27 kernel on Debian/sarge and
version zaptel 1.0.0-1 and asterisk 1.0.0-4.

I had the same Zaptel hardware working in a borrowed x86 PC a few
months ago...

Cheers,

nick.