[Asterisk-Users] Simple phone question

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Oct 16 00:17:37 MST 2004

Continuing on/adding my $0.02 to Joe's reply on this thread....

--On Friday, October 15, 2004 23:30 -0500 Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net>
wrote:

> If Extension 1000 is a Zap channel (i.e. an interface card that has an
> RJ11 into which you plug a phone), that may not be able to receive more
> than one call at a time (I'm not real clear on whether there are built-
> in functions within Asterisk like call waiting for this situation).

Zap does call waiting tone, if callwaiting=yes.

> If Extension 1000 is a SIP client, Asterisk simply offers it off to the
> phone, and lets the phone worry about it.  From what I've seen, SIP
> phones (hard or soft) deal with this by allowing you more than one call
> per "line", but I've not worked with too many clients or phones.

Depends totally on the phone.  Cisco phones can have call waiting and such
turned off either during provisioning, or if provisioning has allowed user
control, by the user.  The exact specifics totally depend on each SIP phone
here as you've noted.