[Asterisk-Users] HylaFAX v. spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Oct 15 22:07:58 MST 2004

Michael Welter wrote:

> Can someone explain where we are with spandsp?  Is it ready for a
> production environment?  How much will one fax using spandsp load the
> processor on an * system?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Some people have been using spandsp-0.0.1k in production systems for
months. The main problems have been:

    Canon fax machines often gave problems
    HP machines are buggy, and with spandsp the bugs cause black streaks
oon received documents.
    People get pages chopped in half.

You won't really notice the load caused by one channel of spandsp's fax
machine on most modern CPUs. I had 100 channels running on a dual Xeon
at one point, but I haven't tested recent versions at high loads.

With the latest spandsp-0.0.2pre4
    The bug affecting Canons seems to be resolved.
    The software used to rely on the internals of libtiff to compress
and decompress images. Now it uses its own code which works around buggy
machines likes the HPs, and allows better reporting of the received data
quality.
    Of all the pages getting chopped problems I received, one turned out
to be a stability issue in the modems. This seems to be resoolved.

Every other report of pages getting chopped, that I have investigated,
has been due to timing problems in * or the hardware. This is probably
about 30 examples now. There is nothing I can do about this. If spandsp
does not work in these cases, neither will hardware modems and HylaFAX
with the calls passing through *. Modems just cannot tolerate hiccups in
the audio stream.

The long delay between spandsp-0.0.1k and the recent spandsp-0.0.2prexxx
versions has been due to the fact that spandsp-0.0.1k has been working
pretty well for a lot of people. There wasn't a need for many minor
releases. 0.0.2 is a fairly major update, with many areas of the
software changing in major ways. Some of these are complete, and some
are still works in progress.

The modems have been reworked to get closer to the theoretically
achievable performance on noisy lines. Their compute requirements are
also a bit lower now.

Fax compression and decompression has been added.

An incomplete skeleton for class 1 modem operation, to work with
HylaFAX, has been added.

A nearly working V.17 modem has been added. This still needs
improvements to the receiver carrier locking to make it work properly.

A half finished V.22bis modem has been added. A couple of people asked
for this, so allow integration of things like credit card validation
machines with *. Most of these still sues V.22bis.

Variable speed playback of speech files. This is something a lot of
people ask for, but which is fairly useless in practice :-). Its just to
play with, though.

A number of little modules, such as V.8 processing, have been
implemented, tested, and added to spandsp, but are not really being used
right now.

Regards,
Steve