[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Oct 15 14:51:16 MST 2004

> Yes I am lazily top posting.  This thread is getting ridiculous (don't waste
> your time flaming).  Freedom is being able to choose if I want to use GPL or
> BSD or my own "stupid" license agreement.  To give my work away for no cost
> or to charge exobanant prices for it.  We are not all ever going to agree
> one is better than the other, there will always be some disagreement.   That
> is the beauty of freedom, we can disagree.  If I like one better than the
> other I will use it and you are free to think that I am stupid and use the
> other.  That is freedom!  I don't have to agree with you, you don't have to
> agree with me and we can both say so without fear of governmental reprisal.
> Now lets get back to talking about the wonderful software that this list is
> about, Please.  I read this to learn about Asterisk, not GPL or BSD.
> Thank you for your time,

Nobody has argued that you shouldn't have the freedom to distribute your
own code however you please.

We started off talking about RedHat's interesting strategy for RHEL.

And now we're talking more generally about whether or not the GPL is more
damaging to free software projects than the BSD license.  With a heavy
emphasis on the slightly unusual.  ;-)

... JG