[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SMP

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Oct 15 13:25:06 MST 2004

--On Friday, October 15, 2004 16:20 +0000 Brian Wilkins <brian at hcc.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have a machine that does SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) and I was
> wondering if it would be a problem if I used a kernel that used SMP with
> Asterisk? Would it crash? Thanks -

Asterisk can and does take advantage of SMP, in Linux, to applications, SMP
and UP kernels/boxes look identical.  Kernel level stuff is different (like
for the Zaptel kernel modules) but all the asterisk stuff (including
zaptel) is safe.

Asterisk is a fully multi-threaded app so if your machine is worked hard
enough to actually need the other processors it will certainly take
advantage of it.