[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Oct 15 13:15:26 MST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 15:53, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> A lot of things that shouldn't happen do. I think that's partially why
> there's a legal system to begin with...

True enough.  :-)

> I think you'd have a fun time in court trying to show that disassembly is
> just the same as compiling source that's given to you (with the necessary
> build scripts).

The issue isn't building the software.  The issue is in taking the new
software and installing it on a system that they have absolutely no authority
to install it on, ending up killing someone and then pointing back at the
source vendor and saying "but they gave me the source!  How was I supposed to
know I shouldn't have installed it on the heart-lung machine!?"

Again; having access to the source is not the problem in your scenario; the
problem lies in the policy for upgrading or installing software on
life-critical machines not being followed.

-A.