[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Oct 15 09:21:12 MST 2004

> Joe Greco [jgreco at ns.sol.net] wrote:
> > By the way, assuming you've contributed code to Linux, did you get your
> > check from RedHat for RHEL?  Thought not.
>
> I was invited to take part in their IPO, under the "friends of Red Hat"
> scheme, which made me over £120,000 profit on my investment.  Does that
> count?  Thought not.

So they let you buy some stock.  Did you have to pay for it?  Did they give
stock to all Linux contributors whose work they benefitted from?

See, I bought stock, years ago, while working for a company.  I don't
consider the return on investment to be compensation for having worked
there.  That'd be kinda silly.

If they gave the stock to you, and to all the other contributors whose
work they benefitted from, then I am very much mistaken, and I apologize.

If they didn't, then I don't think you got your check from RedHat for
RHEL, and that brings up the question....  "do you approve of what they
did with your code?"   Specifically, did you expect that they would sell
your code in a distribution that essentially forbids redistribution?

Hopefully we can at least agree that what they did was distasteful at
best.

... JG