[Asterisk-Users] New Project - IP Phone Sources

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Fri Oct 15 09:17:33 MST 2004

>Question: If I just want to provide IP Telephony within the school and have
>no
>outside connections to the local phone system I suspect I can install
>Asterisk
>on a RH Linux server and plug in a bunch of IP Telephones on the network,
>config it all and it will work.  The only cost to the school would be the
>IP
>Telephones.  Correct??  I know it would involve a bit more configuration
>and
>planning as I have stated but basically is the idea correct??

Yes. You will spend some time configuring stuff, but it should work just
fine. Between the list and #asterisk on irc.freenode.net you shouldn't have
too much trouble.

>Question:  What phones or types of phones should I be looking at.  I
>suspect
>there are new ones coming out every day.  I'm just interested in the most
>basic phone to plug into the network.  Nothing fancy, basic, basic, basic.
>also know I can use soft phones but do not want to go there as it makes
>just
>another application we have to be responsible for on the desktop.

Check out: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones

I think the Grandstream BudgeTones are the cheapest ones you'll find. You
could also use an adapter to use existing analog phones, but I don't think
that'll save much money.

-Michael