[Asterisk-Users] New Project - IP Phone Sources

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Fri Oct 15 09:13:00 MST 2004

See comments inline...

Stew, Asterisk is definitely the perfect application for which you are
trying to accomplish.  You could even integrate asterisk into the
current PBX if you wanted.  But simply putting up an asterisk server and
some sort of IP hardphone would work perfect for your scenario.

> Question:  What phones or types of phones should I be looking at.  I
> suspect
> there are new ones coming out every day.  I'm just interested in the
most
> basic phone to plug into the network.  Nothing fancy, basic, basic,
basic.
> also know I can use soft phones but do not want to go there as it
makes
> just
> another application we have to be responsible for on the desktop.

The most basic phones, I think many will agree, are Grandstreams.  From
what I have read they seem to have pretty good integration with *.  I
have never used these, but have used Polycom IP 500's.  For a business,
in my case a law firm, these phones have worked pretty reliably.

Best regards,

- Brent