[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Oct 15 08:11:33 MST 2004

Jason T. Nelson [jtn at jtn.cx] wrote:
> In our last exciting episode, Kevin Walsh (kevin at cursor.biz) said:
> > If GNU/Linux was licensed under a BSD-style license then Red Hat could
> > easily close the source - just as Apple did when they stole BSD code
> > to create "their" OS/X effort.  I don't believe that Red Hat would do
> > that sort of thing anyway - those tactics are best left to Apple and
> > Microsoft.
> >
> Umm.. subtle but very important point here. Apple did not "steal" BSD
> code. BSD code cannot be stolen. It is given away as basically a gift.
> Stealing implies that the person you stole from has now lost something.

Perhaps "steal" was a bit harsh then.  Maybe I should have said Apple,
Microsoft and others "close the source with no compensation nor
recognition given to the original authors, as allowed by the stupid BSD
license."  It's the authors' fault really.  They live and learn.  Perhaps
they'll use the GPL next time.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz