[Asterisk-Users] Looking for recommendations for a low-cost FXO toIP gateway.

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Fri Oct 15 05:22:01 MST 2004

> At first I thought the X100P was what I was looking for, but now it
> looks to me like the X100P does not have an IP interface, so it would
> require all audio to run through the CPU.  I'm familiar with ATA186's,
> which I think are comparable to the IAXy box, and I'd just like to find
> something like that that provides an FXO interface.  Can anyone help me?

If you can use a box with 2 FXO and 2 FXS, take a look at the Planet VIP-450
http://www.planet.com.tw/product/product_dm.php?product_id=195&menu_id=3 .
We use the VIP-400 (H.323 version).  It has lots of flexibility
in the dial plan, IDs, etc.  You can download the complete manual from
the Planet site.

Pros:  Inexpensive, good voice quality, doesn't crash, excellent hardware
       reliability, good support for configuration problems.

Cons:  Many minor bugs and shortcomings, no support at all for getting
       these fixed, unless a big customer of Planet happens to experience
       the same trouble!

--Stewart