[Asterisk-Users] Cisco firewalls and softphones

Matthew Oulton moulton at comcentrixs.com
Fri Oct 15 00:17:54 MST 2004

Hi,

I know there has been some discussions regarding how you get a softphone to
work across the Cisco PIX firewalls but I did not find any answer for the
following scenario.

Softphone X-Lite (Cisco VPN client) -----> Connects to PIX -------> Asterisk
-----> SIP client registered

The problem is oneway voice (PIX problem).

Well I had the same problem with Cisco´s IP softphone (H.323) and VPN
client,this also had one way voice !

I was lucky enough to have access to a Cisco engineer at the time and they
also were unable to get it to work, they did give me some configs but still
no luck.

Somebody already mentioned they think this in fact might not be possible.

So if that is the case then how are people connecting into their networks
(securely) and using VoIP ? External SIP proxy and then ?

I guess this is a multi faceted question but perhaps someone in Asterisk
land could throw their opinions forward.

Thank you for all the support.

Matt Oulton.