[Asterisk-Users] Web stream from an extension?

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 14 13:16:01 MST 2004

Matt G wrote:
>> A EAGI interface with FFMPEG or Helix (using Windows
>> Media/mplayer/Realplay as output), or if you are really good in
>> Macromedia Flash directly stream it into the clients Flash player.
>>
>> Stefan de Konink
>>

> what about a combo of an EAGI and MING ?
> (generate flash on the fly)
> ming.sourceforge.net

If have in depth experience with Ming, but the on the fly part is
totally not related with this application. Ming indeed offers a way to
generate Flash-on-the-Fly, but all that you want is a Flash application
which is capable to connect to a stream (done by ActionScript) and play
it. The only reason I can think of to (ab)use (fotf) Ming for this is
security-by-obscurity for embedding the stream URL inside the
application itself, instead of passing it as parameter or XML (session)
request.

Making a Flash application in Ming isn't as easy as the Macromedia Flash
Designer in the end it spits out roughtly the same code. And thus your
choice which develop method you use for it. I do prefer Ming if it isn't
design related but never use it for the On-the-Fly use.

(Compare it with an remote XUL application with can be made on the fly
with PHP or the proper way, a XUL template and a PHP generated RDF file.)

Stefan de Konink