[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Oct 14 11:18:22 MST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, David McNett wrote:

> On 14-Oct-2004, Stephen R. Besch wrote:
> No, it is a violation of the EULA on RedHat's server products to run them
> without having purchased a support agreement.  It is not permitted to obtain
> or run RedHat Enterprise Linux without having paid for it.
>
> I'm not sure how they get away with this practice on GPL'd code, but they
> do.

Parts of the distribution is non-gpl. This is a "mere aggregation" which
is allowed. Also, you are not allowed to use their trademarks for your own
distribution.

There are several distributions which are based on the packages from RH ES
3, with the proprietary packages removed. These are all in the clear.

Peter