[Asterisk-Users] Re: Configuring DIAX

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 14 08:51:39 MST 2004

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:

> I tried to setup DIAX and connect to Asterisk for the last few versions.
> It never actally been able to connect to Asterisk or my Other SIP
> Proxies like VoiceMaster.
>
> What does DIAX do actually?
>
> Is there anyone in this list who has connected to Asterisk and made call
> for real?
>
> Seshu Kanuri

Prior to 0.9.9a, I was never able to establish voice communication. The
phone registered, would dial extensions, would ring on incoming calls -
just no audio stream. However, with the most recent version - same
configuration exactly - now I have voice. Go figure. I agree that there
appears to be no place in the help file that clearly and completely
deals with configuration, other than descriptions of the fields that go
something like, "Enter your password in this box". An excellent example
is the context field. I was under the impression that a phone didn't
determine its context - this would be rather dangerous actually. I
really don't know what this field does. I just set it to match the
context assigned to the phone in iax.conf. Anyway, here is an abstract
of my setup:

iax.conf

[steve1]
type=friend
username=steve1
secret=SomeCleverPassword
auth=md5
host=dynamic
context=International		;Must be a valid context
mailbox=xxx			;xxx is of course your mailbox
CallerID="Steve"<xxx>		;Ditto for xxx
qualify=no			;I can't make qualify work with DIAX

extensions.conf

;This is in my default context
exten => 1881,1,Dial(IAX2/steve1,30,Ttr)
exten => 1881,2,Congestion

In the DIAX registration form:

Alias: An alias for your server
Server: IP address of your server (see note)
Username: steve1
Password: YourCleverPassword
Context: International		;Must be a valid context
Register: checked
Name: Your Name
Number: 1881

Note that I could not make DNS work for the server entry. I had to enter
the actual IP or DIAX never found the server. This is OK in my case
since the server has a fixed IP. For servers getting their IP
dynamically, this may be a problem.

Several other things that you must be careful about are the settings for
the sound card. If you have more than one card, be sure that the desired
one is selected. Also, be sure that the microphone (in the record
controls - not the playback controls!) is not muted and is set to a
suitable level. As far as I can tell, the phone delivers its audio to
the sound card over the wav interface, so be sure that the volume and
mute settings for wav playback are also set correctly.

Stephen R. Besch