[Asterisk-Users] Hardware for 20 extensions (voip vs analog)?

Steve Maroney steve at stevenet.net
Thu Oct 14 07:19:29 MST 2004

With analog phones the different features provided by asterisk are
not natevily supported. For example, on my 10 dollar analog phone, I have
to press the flash button and hear a dial tone to put the caller on hold.
Thats sort of confusing. Most users would think of the "Hold" button when
putting the caller on hold. And with IP Phones, thats excatly the way hold
works. Im sure all other analog phone will work the same way. I could be
wrong. Someone, please correct me. Also MWI is an issue too. I think not
only the phone, but the channel bank needs to support the same method of
MWI as well.

Emergency power is something to think about with IP Phones. I know that
traditional phone systems supply power to phones through the phone cable.
So a battery backup installed on the phone system will keep the all the
extensions up during power loss. With IP Phones, a POE hub would be used
with phones that support POE. Those POE hubs are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Steve Maroney