[Asterisk-Users] Advice on OS Choice

Thu Oct 14 06:34:45 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 23:10, Alex Barnes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to decide what Operating System is best to go
> for on a customer site.  Server will only be running Asterisk / MySQL
> / Apache / PHP but nothing else.
>
> I have only tested Asterisk on SLES 8.1 however I do have experience
> with RedHat 9 as well.
>
> However SLES 8 = £599 ex vat and with so many free Linux OS's out
> there I am tempted to deploy something else on customer sites.
> RedHat 9 is no longer available so although I probably have CD's
> somewhere I assume that I cannot actually legally install this now for
> NEW installs????

As for distributions, I'm tending to like debian at the moment, mainly
because it has simple, easy to use management tools (apt), and, well, it
is free...

Really though, they are all the same... So I would usually say, use
whatever you know the best.

Oh, you can probably 'legally' install RH9 in another 20 years, I doubt
there was any sort of time limit on installation for it... (not that I
would know)...

[snip]

> Sorry for the many questions but I am not particularly experienced
> with Linux to know what the real difference is with the umpteen
> versions.

You did ask for advice, so:
If you don't know linux well enough to be comfortable with any specific
distribution, to the point that really all of them are mostly the same,
just a few extra GUI's/tools that they throw in. The biggest difference
is usually in the install process, but again, I don't really know much
about this, since I've never actually purchased a copy of any linux
distro....
So, what I would suggest is that if you don't know linux that well,
perhaps you should pause and think again about selling a linux based
solution to a customer. I mean, stuffing around with something yourself
is different to actually selling a *solution*... Perhaps you might talk
to another local asterisk consultant (or even just a linux consultant)..

Just my 0.02c....

> thanks as always for any advice

[delete silly, very long signature, incl stupid disclaimer...]

Please please don't start any huge threads about the best linux
distro, and extra please don't take offence about my comments, they will
hopefully make you think about it. What you do from there is entirely
up to you.