[Asterisk-Users] Embedded Asterisk System (was QoS Router/SoftwareSuggestions)

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Oct 13 15:39:12 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> What about "syslogging" the CDR's?
>
> You can set the "loghost" via DHCP on boot.
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, JB Hewit wrote:
>
>> Then you could export CDR to an external database on another machine.
>>
>> Realisitcally though, for the price of a microdrive you 'mose well
>> buy a cheap ide hdd.
>>
>> It's a cost way up, you can't have too much of an underpowered
>> machine otherwise you won't make many phone calls.

I don't see the writing of CDR that much of an issue.  You have a million
writes per memory block on a CF card -- that is a lot of calls.

I was thinking an appliance base system would be great for a remote office
that has a handful of users that need to connect to the main branch office.
It could also be used as the router with QOS and VPN connectivity.

It may also be a good fit for a small business with only a couple of users.

I don't know, maybe I just have a fixation on CF cards.

Geoff