[Asterisk-Users] Chaining more than one zap echo canceller?

Chad Scott chad at idworld.net
Wed Oct 13 07:12:12 MST 2004

Apparently you did not read my entire message.

I specifically stated it would be non-optimal and a bare-bones solution.

While 600 ohms may be the characteristic impedance of the wire run, a
mismatch at either end will change the impedance of the entire path to
some value that is the related to the severity of the mismatch and *the
distance from it*.  The CPE "sees" an impedance of X because it is at Y
distance from the mismatch.  You could have a horrible mismatch
somewhere on the line and still see 600 ohms because you happened to be
at the right distance.

And yes, the longer the run, the higher its DC resistance even though
it's impedance is still 600 ohms.  However, in the AC world, there is a
measure of impedance and loss per fixed distance.  So the loop might be
20 miles long, 600 ohms impedance, and 1.5 dB loss per mile (as an
example).  Since the resistance increases with distance, something must
be happening within the wire to help overcome the resistance in order
to stay at a fixed 600 ohms: capacitance and inductance.  However, the
loss increases with distance, so you may have a 600 ohm match at the
far end but no signal to pick up.

If you wanted to fix an impedance mismatch the "right" way, you'd use a
matching network.  In it's simplest form, you could use a transformer
to convert the 150 ohms impedance at the jack to 600 ohms for the
equipment.  You could also use a dynamic matching network with variable
capacitors and inductors to create just about any impedance you want.