[Asterisk-Users] Backup POTS line

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Oct 13 07:09:14 MST 2004

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Joe Greco wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible however to use the remote POTS line if the local POTS line
> >> is in use? (sort of fail-over?).
> >
> > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+ChanIsAvail
>
> Thanks! I had not found this link but this is only for local Zap
> interfaces I guess? Can I 'probe' the zap interface on a remote box too
> to see if it is available and how to use it?

No, but who cares?  Check the local, see if it's busy.  If busy, pass to
the remote server and let it deal with it.  On the remote, if you can't
dial, then deliver congestion.  The local box doesn't really need to know
much about what happens on the remote.

If you really needed to be fancy, you could theoretically chain through a
series of servers, each forwarding to the next if they didn't happen to
have a free channel.

I've been wanting a nice computerized telephony system for fifteen or
twenty years, now...  most things up to this point sucked.  Asterisk has
a heck of a lot going for it.  It never ceases to amaze me that there are
so many neat and cool things you can do with it, or that there are
frequently several ways to do things, or that there are so many good ideas
out there.  :-)

... JG