[Asterisk-Users] QoS Router/Software Suggestions

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Oct 12 20:55:47 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Try m0n0wall.  http://m0n0.ch/wall/. Runs on cheapo old PC with dual
> NICs or Soekris embedded platfroms. Very nice traffic shaping/QoS.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:00:24 -0500, Matthew Boehm wrote:
>
>> I've got a Linksys BEFSR41 at home with RoadRunner service. I'm
>> pretty sure it doesn't do QoS. I'm using WinXP Pro and not sure if
>> it does QoS. I'm using SJ Phone and...(follow the pattern).
>>
>> I have to stop all network traffic on my machine if I want to have
>> any hopes of making a clear call. But I shouldn't need to do that,
>> right? Because somewhere the data packets should be getting queued
>> and my voice packets should be having top priority right?
>>
>> How can I ensure this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthew

I also forgot to add about QOS is ensuring your upstream bandwidth is
controlled.  If you have an external modem then it is very, very easy to
overwhelm the modem buffer and suffer massive performance degradation.

I highly recommend looking at the Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control
HOWTO (http://lartc.org/).  It has some cookbook type of examples for
deploying QOS with external modes.

Geoff