[Asterisk-Users] * box hangs after a couple of days...

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Oct 12 13:19:00 MST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:32 -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > No I hate those highpoints.  Using Standard IDE, the Promise 'RAID' is
> > disabled.  We have a SCSI box here that's been purchased for the PBX
> > permanent home, but if this is how the Zaptel hardware makes a box behave,
> > interrupt loss causing severe disk corruption on a box that is sitting
> > around doing *NOTHING* then something is severely wrong either with the
> > hardware, or the drivers.  The box was entirely idle.  Only thing it's ever
> > done is sit, it's handled a total of 100 test calls as I've been setting it
> > up and screwed itself up pretty royally twice now.
>
> Then you show how little you have learned about the hardware and the
> system in general. ALL Zapata based hardware generates 1000 interupts a
> second regardless of activity. It does so because a choice was made that
> the complexity and cost involved in adding buffers and hardware to
> service those buffers was too much. It was deemed that under most
> situations, a PC is capable of handling that kind of load.

I thought the very shallow buffers (8 bits I think) were selected to keep
the voice path latency low. Anyway, 1kHz shoulr really _really_ not be a
problem. I have run user space code at 1kHz to talk to a can bus. From
user space. The jitter was really low even though the system was busy
logging away. No instabilities there.

For data loggers 1kHz is not that uncommon.

Peter