[Asterisk-Users] How big .CONF files can be?

Jens Kübler cleanerx at au.hadiko.de
Tue Oct 12 05:39:23 MST 2004

Am Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2004 14:04 schrieb Goran Dj:
> I'm new to Asterisk.
> How big can be sip.conf (and other: iax.conf, extensions.conf...)
> Is there point when I must use DB (MySQL...) instead of pure .conf?

There is no real answer to this question.
Databases are always a good choice as the search strategies are substantially
faster and the administration is much easier.
If you only got few extensions don't use a database as it's not worth the work
for the interfaces to setup.

For example if a peer is searched in the conf file the average time will be
N/2 to find the peer where N is the number of peers listed.

Most databases should be able to search for this entry in
log (N) time which for big N is far better than the above.

Generally speaking a sip.conf can be as large as your ram but you certainly
don't want to check that out.

Jens