[Asterisk-Users] Intel Modem vs Digium Cards

Tue Oct 12 01:25:22 MST 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:58:30 -0500 (CDT), Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> what I've read leads me to believe that it won't be
> feasible to have large numbers (specifically, many more than two) of
> the X100P's in a single system.

The limitation you mention stems from interrupt conflicts which is a
problem unique to the x86 architecture. Use a Mac running LinuxPPC (ie
YDL3.01) and you can use as many X100P as the Mac has PCI slots (some
have six slots), no interrupt problems, no sound artifacts, it just
works.

This has been discussed on this list before, but since you seem to
have overlooked it, I thought you might be interested to be told about
this option. Perhaps we need to put this on the Wiki, so more people
will be able to find out about it.

Perhaps we should also put the idea into the heads of TerraSoft (the
sponsors of YDL) to start selling their own Intel modems with support
for Asterisk and Zaptel on YDL, just like Digium does.

TerraSoft sponsored the work Digium did to make Asterisk and Zaptel
work on PPC/YDL and they once were a Digium reseller. They lost
interest beause they didn't get enough orders. Would be a win for the
community to get them on board again.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.