[Asterisk-Users] Generic X100P's

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Tue Oct 12 00:15:20 MST 2004

BIX refers to the type of punchdown block invented by Nortel and later
sold to Nordx (BIX is part of the IBDN family). It is functionally the
same concept as 110 blocks, although the two are not compatible.

I guess the closest thing to a breakout box for BIX would be the BIX36,
which allows you to terminate a 25pair and provides several RJ11
receptacles. I've used BIX mounts as breakouts for all kinds of reasons.

I apologize if all I'm doing is confusing the issue, but the term
"breakout box" is really a generic term which refers to any device that
lets you break out the signal wires of a cable. Breakout boxes exist for
just about any kind of cable you can imagine tapping into, from telecom
to serial and even video or audio. Quite often, a breakout box is
something one would build themselves. I guess all I'm tring to say is
that when using the term "breakout box", it might not be obvious what
i9t was for (googling for "breakout box" yields all kinds of bizarre
devices.

In this case, I guess we'd be dealing with an 25-pair to RJ-11 breakout
box, the purpose of which is to allow you to plug sets directly into the
amphenol cable connected to the PBX, rather than having to terminate the
cable on a punchdown block, and then wire out a jack for each station).

Normally a telephone system would wire like this:

[PBX]
25pair amphenol cable
[punchdown]----station cables----[jack]----[set]
  |     \
  |      \
  |       \
station cables (dozens, hundreds or thousands of them)
  |         \
  |          \
  |           \
[jack]       [jack]----[set]

[set]

An RJ-11 breakout would instead allow you to connect the sets directly
to the system (we used to call them "cheaters"), like this:

[PBX]
25pair amphenol cable
[breakout box]
  |        \
  |         \
[set]      [set]

Hey! Do they still have ASCII art competitions?

Enjoy!

Jim.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.