[Asterisk-Users] Intel Modem vs Digium Cards

Marconi Rivello marconirivello at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:55:57 MST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:19:31 +1000, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists at websitemanagers.com.au> wrote:
> PS, for those people who feel like sending a message to the list saying
> "Don't use clone x101Ps, or whatever, please don't. The best response
> you can send is a non-reply. Those people who want to support that user,
> will, the rest of us should just keep quite. The same as you would keep
> quite if you know nothing about a sipura and you see a post about some
> wierd problem someone is having with their new sipura.

Well, I'm a generic modem user. And I'm really happy with it. It gave
me a lot of trouble at the beginning, but it wasn't the modem's fault,
it was the motherboard's. The source of the problem (the PCI
controller) was identified with the help of the Asterisk community
(which I really appreciate), and now there's no problem at all. And
official Digium hardware users had the same problems on such chipsets.

I bought the "generic" modem for some reasons:
1. I'm not exactly poor, but I don't have USD 100 laying around either.
2. Regarding 1: I am using it (for now) only for personal reasons, so
if it didn't work, I just couldn't afford to lose USD 100. 10 bucks
(the cheap modem price) was an acceptable risk.
3. Here in Brazil you just can't find this kind of hardware that easy.
It would be even more overpriced, or I would have to pay an absurd
import tax if I found an online store willing to ship it here.

To be honest, 1 and 2 were the real reasons. But 3 reinforces the others.

As for supporting (financially) Asterisk, there should be a donate
button on their website. Through Paypal, credit card, or whatever. I
still don't think a X100P is worth USD 100. But I would like to make a
contribution, as well as others that posted on the list. A lot of
small contributions can make a significant one.

And being "forced" to contribute doesn't make sense. A contribution is
a voluntary act. So if you want to contribute, it doesn't have to be
USD 90 (X100P - its real price). You could buy the cheap modem ($10)
and give the amount you find appropriate to Digium through a real
donation. If they are selling G729 licenses for $10, I believe that
even this amount would mean something to them.

Just my thoughts, and to keep the guy from being crucified alone. :)
Marconi.