[Asterisk-Users] Re: Intel Modem vs Digium Cards

Wolf N. Paul wnp at doulos.at
Sun Oct 10 23:34:58 MST 2004

Hello,

this is not really much of an issue any more in Europe, the old
state-owned monopoly phone companies have had to loosen up in the face of
private competition and de-regulation (or rather, fairly liberal re-regulation).
I something I hook up causes an actual technical malfunction in the
switch, the telco will turn my line on and might charge me for any actual
damage, but otherwise I am free to use whatever hardware I want.

But your descriptions of the situation in Japan (i.e. a week ago or so on
the way NTT sells/leases pbxs) is very much the way it was here as little
as 8-10 years ago. And it is not that long ago that things were that way
in the US, but we tend to forget that rather quickly (if we ever were
aware of it).

Ten years ago if you had a PBX connected to PSTN you had to have a support
contract with a licensed vendor ... four years ago the telco sold us
an Alcatel PBX and couldn't care less that we didn't want to pay for
a support contract. But of course, since PBXs were not designed to be
customer-maintained, there is virtually no documentation available.

But things are changing.

Regards,

Wolf