[Asterisk-Users] DID trunk suggestions for Asterisk

Joe Cunningham joe at cunninghamcentral.com
Sun Oct 10 06:24:56 MST 2004

I have a client that has 4 analog DID trunks which are wink start lines
and are the incoming lines.  Each  trunk line has 20 DIDs assigned.  We
are in the process of migrating them off their current system to
Asterisk.   We need a way to get these DID trunks into Asterisk so we
get the DID information to route the calls.  While the DID setup self
is not the issue.  The issue is I am looking for an inexpensive way to
get these trunks directly into the Asterisk box.  Since they are analog
DID we need to supply the voltage to the CO.  I have looked at using
something like a BrookTrout card but these are costly.   Also looked
using something like the DID-200 to convert the DID trunk to loop-start
again these have a high cost.  I also considered having the client order
and switch to PRI and all the advantages this brings however I think
this might be overkill for this client. Not sure of the month costs with
this I was thinking depending on the term this may run about $500 per
month.  I also thought about BRI but searching  Google and such first it
looks like you can't do DID over BRI.

So I guess my question is based on the above have I missed something and
is there any inexpesive way to bring these DID trunks right into
Asterisk keeping the current analog DID trunks?  If so what hardware is
required?

Cheers
Joe