[Asterisk-Users] Re: Vonage, PSTN, 911, and hardware question

Rollo Tomnasi RolloTomnasi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 15:43:58 MST 2004

On Behalf Of Rajeev Sharma
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 1:00 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Vonage, PSTN, 911, and hardware question

>I searched froogle, and found a modem with an "Intel (Ambient) MD3200 soft
>modem chipset" for $6.45:
>http://store.yahoo.com/store4pc/in56kv92pcid.html
>So, would I be able to use 3 of these modems with the X100P drivers? $20 is
>definitely in my budget. :D

I haven't had any issues with cheap cards - but I've read plenty of
horror stories.  If you're willing to take the risk, hey go for the
$6.45 card, you can always go back and purchase an X100P later.

>Also, about the Vonage ATA: which configuration is better? The only
reason >I can see for using the ATA is avoiding problems with QoS and
NAT, but I >don't know much about his stuff.

Use the ATA device for outbound & get unlimited outbound calls.  If
you don't think you'll run over 1 call + call waiting, etc then use it
for incoming as well.  Otherwise use the Softphone account for inbound
& ATA for outbound as I described in earlier post.

>2. Phone availibility during a power outage is a big concern. I'm planning
>on keeping my regular
>PSTN line around for emergencies and 911 dialing (so that 911 calls
>actually go to the 911 center, along with my address). Is there an
easy way >for all the phone jacks in my house to automatically be
switched to the >PSTN line if my broadband goes out? I'm also planning
on hacking together a >powered switch so that when the computer's
power supply goes down, the line >gets switched fully to the PSTN
line, but I'm hoping somebody can give me a >better solution.

I read someone's comment to use a cell phone.  I understand the need
for this rollover to PSTN but you're really just adding cost &
complication.  You said you'd rather spend $20 on the FXO card, but
you're willing to spend an extra $20+ / month to keep a PSTN line
around?  If you're set on this, then as far as I know your options are
pretty limited:
1) Buy a UPS for your server, switch & ATA device as well as your handset.
2) Use your cell phone.
3) Keep the PSTN and go to walmart & buy a cheap analog handset that's
connected to it in a central location in your home for emergencies.
4) If you're using * to receive calls via PSTN -> X100P (or clone),
plug an analog handset into the phone jack on the card, this will
function even in the event of a power outage.

RT