[Asterisk-Users] Howtos on writting applications or modules ?

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Sat Oct 9 12:19:08 MST 2004

> - where could I find more info on modules API ?

    There isn't really any hard core documentation, but I think you can run
'make progdocs' and get some stuff. Everything I've learned/needed to learn
about the API I have learned from reading the code to other modules/apps.

> - what types of modules exist (like maybe modules that are called only on
> certain events, then modules that are called in certain time intervals
> etc...)

    Got no clue on that. Most of the modules/apps I've written/patched are
loaded by issuing 'load <mod name>.so" on the CLI. Most modules/apps are
loaded and then something triggers asterisk to execute the main routine of
that module/app (the name of that routine is set when the mod/app is
registered).

> - what existing modules are good examples of different types to start at ?

    everything inside apps/

> - if I open tcp port in one module - can I use it in another module ?

    I don't believe you can share resources across modules like that. For
instance, if I have two seperate apps that both connect to database, I do
not believe (nor think it wise) to share a connection handler between them.

Matthew