[Asterisk-Users] Getting Digium TDM card - what to watch for?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri Oct 8 10:36:14 MST 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 01:19 pm, jparr at bgcfreedom.com wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Joseph wrote:
> > This is good reminder, thank you.
> > My only problem is that with all those fast changing PC components,
> > internal PCI cards are not practical.
> > After few years the PCI Bus will change to something else and my card
> > will be dead along with the PC.
> > They already have 5.0V and 3.3V Bus.
>
> That is something you will need to learn to live with in the telephony
> world. The resource cards are an investment, moreso than the PC hardware.
> There are still lots of systems out there in production that use ISA
> cards.

You make it sound like they just came out with the PCI bus.
As far as time goes the PCI bus has been with us for many years and the new
ones are mostly backwards compatible. So it's not quite that bad.
True, that's all very relative. 10 years can be a very short time.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin