[Asterisk-Users] Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Beginers Help - Hardware selection

Jason Kawakami jkkawakami at optellabs.com
Fri Oct 8 10:23:05 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
<snip>
>curious about the QoS aspect. Do you have separate cabling or does it use
the same ethernet cabling as your computers? Whats the load on the >network?

it is all running on the same ethernet segment.  There is enough bandwidth
on our LAN that we are still only doing L2 switching so we dont do any QoS.
I have a phone that travels with me and occasionally it 'burps' and I get a
little garbled conversation but no worse than my cell phone.

We use g711 internally, since our LAN isn't saturated it works fine.  I
really like GSM so for any traffic via the internet I try to force GSM.

check out
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bandwidth%20consumption for
info on all of the different codecs.

Jason Kawakami