[Asterisk-Users] Dialplan to Pick up calls that are ringing onother extensions?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Oct 7 11:22:32 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:16 -0400, James Freire wrote:
> Well I dont want it to operate as a group. I understand that it is *8
> on most PBX systems but I would like it to work as dialing *8
> +extension-thats-ringing to have it go over to my extension. I am
> having a lot of trouble finding more information from the wiki and
> google.

Well thats how asterisk is set up. You would have to understand that
your picking up for a channel not an extension. Many extensions can
point to a single channel/phone. So how would you know what extension
you are picking up unless you had a really simple dialplan. Pickupgroups
allow you to define those who are members of the group and then the
members who can actually pickup those calls.

Your other option right now would be to do something with the manager
API and redirect the call.