[Asterisk-Users] REGISTER timeout problem with Broadvoice

Jeff Pyle jpyle490 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:48:09 MST 2004

Hi all,

We seem to be having an interesting issue maintaining our
registrations with Broadvoice.  It seems to be related to the fact
that Asterisk does not normally include authentication with its first
REGISTER attempt.  Normally, Broadvoice doesn't care, responds with a
401 Proxy Auth Required, and asterisk answers accordingly.  However,
if the account is already registered, Broadvoice responds with a 200
OK even when there is no credientials sent.  Asterisk sees a perfectly
valid registration, but Broadvoice doesn't count these "intermediate"
ones.  I'm not sure why it doesn't respond with the normal 401.  To
add insult to injury the expire times for these pseudo-registrations
are 3600 (compared to the normal 1200 for a non-private source IP).
The result?  Well, after the true, original registration expires, the
account is no longer registered.  But asterisk thinks the registration
is still valid, until the 3600 expires.

This is an issue whenever we're working on our sip.conf files and need
to do a sip reload.  When we do, we get a false registration, and
eventually fall out of their proxy.  Even restarting asterisk as a
whole causes problems.

Broadvoice seems to be pointing the finger at the fact that asterisk
isn't offering credentials with the initial REGISTER.  It seems to me,
however, that this is a normal behavior, as traces have shown that all
my other user agents behave just like this when registering with me.
I'd love to quote the RFC back at them, but I haven't had a chance to
dig into it.

Does anyone know a way to just force Asterisk to offer authentication
info with each REGISTER, standards-compliant or not?

As always, thanks.

- Jeff