[Asterisk-Users] What would be needed ..

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 6 15:06:01 MST 2004

Asterisk wrote:
> I was thinking of going one step further and having the entire os +
> applications downloaded via tftp on server boot. A great way of being
> able to distribute new versions of the program / kernel etc. It would
> also mean that the server does not need a HDD.
Correct, you only need to tag a kernel for tftp-distribution and a
network mountpoint. But I guess for the voicemail system and gsm files
it would be nice to have some sort of cache. And for the complete system
a serperate network interface for 'harddisk' traffic would be adviseble.

> One could then provide unique dial plans / conf files etc etc for each
> server (or have them served via msysql/postgresql) .
By a 'server register procedure' it would be possible to dynamically
allocate specific servers to specific task. But what should be done with
IAX tunnels or physical links to the network? What if a server fails?
The total system must check such things and make an other system fail
over (hard- and software).

> But for me the main benefit would be that I could add another server
> simply by plugging it into the network. No more os installation,
> configuration etc etc. If one server went down, fire up another, and get
> the latest software and config.
Making a 1:1 mirror should provide you the same, my opinion (and
ofcourse totally not valid): why place two servers to use only one
server? Waste of money. So make the second system a offloading system
with a VRRP-ip setting of some kind so that the system does fail over in
case of power failure. This probably imply if server 1 has a E1 link,
you need to have the same for server 2.

Stefan de Konink