[Asterisk-Users] What would be needed ..

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Oct 6 12:17:50 MST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 13:51, Asterisk wrote:
> What are the minimum software requirements to A) compile and B) run
> Asterisk ?

You need a standard development environment for A and as far as B is
concerned, you should be able to figure that out with RPM -q and ldd.

> I was thinking along the lines of having a chroot somewhere on one of my
> Linux machines where I could compile and build not only asterisk, but the
> kernel and other related stuff. This "build" would be packaged as an image
> capable of booting from a USB / CD Rom or even tftp server.

This is *exactly* what I do.  My asterisk boxes are minimal slackware installs
(500M, I could trim a lot out of that but haven't needed to) and I have a
slack9.1 build environment on a USB hdd that I chroot to, cvs up, make new
packages for and then push the packages out.  Piece of cake.

> I *am* a total newbie when talking about this stuff, so please, no flames -
> It's just an idea.

It's a great idea and works very well.

-A.