[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SIP phones

Jens Kübler cleanerx at au.hadiko.de
Wed Oct 6 09:06:36 MST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 15:57 schrieb Michael Di Martino:
> I have Asterisk server providing phone service for my company.
> The server is behind a PIX-515 FW and is assigned a private address
> 192.168.11.X/24.
>
> With that said what is best to provide remote SIP phones (home offices)
> securely.
>
> If the solution is to put up another Asterisk server with a public IP
> address I am opposed to that.
> I am looking for the a secure reliable solution to set up remote SIP
> phones.

Acktually Asterisk lacks real security support.
If a third party gets hold of that md5 hash it will be a matter of time to
crack the password but this is only an authorisation problem.
The next problem is that all voice data is sent unencrypted. I read about an
analyze tool yesterday that's capable of decoding a lot of protocolls for
debugging.
You certainly don't want corporate calls decoded, do you?

So the only sollution I would suggest, is to setup a secure vpn-connection
that tunnels the data streams to your office.

Jens