[Asterisk-Users] IAXy - anyone using them yet?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Oct 5 21:09:59 MST 2004

On 2004.10.05 12:06 Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> 	I think that it is worth pointing out that the devices have no
> support for DNS.  You cannot have them register against a hostname,
> at all.  I have contacted Digium and from what they told me there is
> no planned support for DNS.

It is true that DNS is not needed for the S100I (IAXy) configuration.
DNS support would be quite nice, however, for a service provider so
that when they want to change or migrate equipment they just merely
change DNS PTR records rather than having to reconfigure all of their
customers' devices.  I wonder if Digium is thinking things through
there.

> I think, that from a competitive standpoint, I don't know how these
> devices can really compete against something like the Sipura-2000,
> when you get two FXS ports, many more features, and even DNS (for
> less money)!

Well, the competitive edge on the IAXy is the IAX support.  The other
popular ATA devices use SIP which is a nightmare to work with through
firewalls.  IAX, on the other hand, copes with firewalling quite
gracefully.

I've been happy with both my Sipura SPA-2000 and also my Digium IAXys,
but I use them for different purposes.  The former I use on a LAN and
the latter I use on the WAN.  I do not use the IAXys where the Sipura
can do the same job with more features for less money.

> 	I love to support Digium wherever possible, but I don't want my
> clients to suffer with an inferior product because of it!

I'm not one who believes that we "owe" it to Digium to pay inflated
prices for rebranded hardware or that we "owe" it to them to accept
sub-par featuresets on their equipment that we purchase.  So I applaud
your comments.

However, right now I know of no IAX-supporting ATA product that
competes with the IAXy.  So if you want IAX on an ATA device, then
you've little choice.  Like any business, I don't expect Digium to add
features to the product unless they get some competition on that
product type or unless they feel like they're losing sales opportunity
by not having those features.

So, if we ask Digium to only expect our money when they sell product
worth purchasing, like any other business, then likewise I think that
we must expect nothing more from Digium than we expect from any other
business with a niche market.  So, be harsh on them, but don't be too
harsh.  It's just business, after all.

Lee.